I think I’ll go about it a bit differently this time. Not month by month, but just some highlights and books, music and pictures, of course. And only in English this time.
Starting with road trips
- Tuomarila-Tuusula on a crisp winter’s day
- Myrskylä and Porvoo on May Day
- Kerimäki-Savonlinna weekend in May was a cool mini-break for us
- Mid-summer weekend in Vesanto, visting my relatives and Kuopio
- Hanko-Fiskars on a hot summer day
- Billnäs on a cold November day
- Inkoo on another cold November day
Some other major markers of the year
- My eldest kid got a kitten and I babysitted him a couple times
- Helsinki Book Fair
- Late Night with Anders – my youngest kid’s fab school play
- Company party at Lehmonkärki, Asikkala, where I also received my 10 years at Sulava award
And then some…
Corona or no Corona, most of our days are spent with the daily routines of work, eat, sleep, walk the dogs. During the summer time we routinely walked around the Tali golf course, multiple times a week. Obviously I took off to the Munkkiniemi beach a few times too, with or without a dog or two. During the summer we also visited our summer place several times.
The biggest change this year brought on us was Timmy moving to live with our youngest kid.
Also, we got a second car, an AMG V8 Mercedes Benz CLS 6.3 after I kinda wrecked our GLK (which was repaired, not totaled).
All of our three moved into their own apartments this year; eldest and youngest from shared apartments, middle kid from her mom’s. We are officially empty nesters.
Empty nesters who spent the whole autumn remodeling the house. New paint, new cabinets, new look.
Tattoos and piercings
There were a few…
Read quite a bit more this year than in several decades. I guess the empty nest DOES give me more time for books 63 is actually 66 for one of the books is Hobbit + LOTR bundled into one.
My top picks:
- The House in the Cerulean Sea, T.J. Klune
- Under the Whispering Door, T.J. Klune
- The Storyteller, Dave Grohl (https://marilka.net/…/take-aways-from-the-tales-of…/)
- The Once and Future Witches, Alix E. Harrow
Most of my reading year was spent in different fantasy worlds, and I think that trend will pretty much continue, though there’s always some (auto)bios, detective stories etc. in the mix too.
Spring time was emotionally quite difficult for me, and I ended up looping some 45 minutes of select songs mostly by Rush, Foo Fighters, Disturbed and Linkin Park. Oh, and Apulanta. That heavy rotation is clearly visible in my Spotify year, but it’s not really out of the ordinary in any way, since those + Muse are my heaviest rotation in any case.
With that, it’s a wrap
I hope for a good year 2022, despite the pandemic still going strong. It’s not fun no, but doesn’t mean life needs to suck.
Happy New Ye… sorry, JUMANJI!